Check for the basics throughout your home. Here is a list to get you started.
- Do you have emergency numbers next to the phone?
- Is there a stepladder handy?
- Are electrical outlets exposed?
- Are extension cords frayed?
- Do you check electrical outlets to be sure they’re not overloaded?
- Do you know where the circuit breaker or fuse box is?
- Do you know how to turn off the electricity and gas in an emergency?
- Do you have fresh batteries in the smoke detector and the carbon monoxide detector?
- Is your fire extinguisher ready to use? Do you even have one?
- Are your floors non-skid?
- Are your floor coverings and rugs secure?
- Do you have protective screens in front of fireplaces?
- Are candles kept away from walls and curtains?
- Do interior doors have safety release locks so they can open from either side?
- If there are small children in your home, are windows and screens secure?
- Is lead-free paint used on all surfaces?
- Are furnaces and flues regularly inspected and cleaned?
- Does everyone know two ways to exit your home?
- With lesser daylight, are the surroundings of your home properly lit?
- Is your heating equipment or furnace maintenance up to date?
Jagdeep Singh, B. Arch.
Real Estate Broker
Direct Tel: 647-287-4644
Direct Fax: 866-450-9199
Formally educated as an Architect, Jagdeep Singh is Toronto REALTOR™ consulting on both resale real estate and new developments. Powerful Local Focus on Real Estate with a Global Perspective™
This post is for information purposes only. Though effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the contents, the reader is advised to verify the information independently. This post may contain contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The reader is not allowed to reproduce it in any medium without the author’s prior written permission. Jagdeep Singh is a broker with Century 21 Heritage Group Ltd., brokerage (416) 798-7133 which is independently owned and operated. This message is not intended to solicit parties currently under contract.