Toronto's magnificent official Christmas tree is sponsored by Great Gulf, a Toronto home and condo builder. This glittering evergreen is the focal point of the annual lighting display at Nathan Phillips Square, featuring lights and ornaments in various shades of white and silver and carefully wrapped with a light ribbon of holiday red.
Here are some interesting facts about the tree:
- The tree arrives on a flatbed truck and is lifted into place with cranes.
- It takes a crew of six people three to four hours to put the tree into place.
- The tree needs three days to settle before it can be decorated.
- A crew of four people will take two weeks to decorate and light the tree.
- Countless pieces of large machinery, including a cherry picker, are used to assist the decorating crew in placing each ornament onto the tree.
- Unlike an indoor tree, Toronto's Christmas tree does not need watering.
- Usually the official tree is 15 to 18 metres tall (50 to 60 feet). During the revitalization of Nathan Phillips Square the tree will be slightly smaller.
- The tree remains on display throughout the holiday season and is then recycled.
Jagdeep Singh, B. Arch.
Real Estate Broker
Direct Tel: 647-287-4644
Direct Fax: 866-450-9199
Formally educated as an Architect, Jagdeep Singh is Toronto REALTOR™ consulting on both resale real estate and new developments. Powerful Local Focus on Real Estate with a Global Perspective™
This post is for information purposes only and is adapted from the City to Toronto website. Though effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the contents, the reader is advised to verify the information independently. This post may contain contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The reader is not allowed to reproduce it in any medium without the author’s prior written permission. Jagdeep Singh is a broker with Century 21 Heritage Group Ltd., brokerage (416) 798-7133 which is independently owned and operated. This message is not intended to solicit parties currently under contract.